Norfolk Scrumpers are taking a break from pressing in 2019!
We have taken the decision not to press this year for several reasons including but not limited to:
- A lack of glass bottle availability in the UK and Europe due to several furnaces needing to be re-lined and the boom in hipster gin causing the bottle manufacturers to drop the production of the bottles we use in order to use their limited furnace capacity to manufacture more profitable bespoke gin bottles instead.
- We have outgrown our site and were at capacity last year for what we could do as a small back-yard operation. We are hoping to use the “fallow year” to relocate to more suitable premises.
- We simply don’t have the space to bulk buy the bottles we would need for the season in advance – we have previously used just-in-time deliveries of glass to meet our needs but this is not possible this year with the bottles we need being vary scarce and difficult to acquire at reasonable prices in small batches.
- Any bottles we could buy would likely have to come from Saint Gobain in France and whilst they are of excellent quality, they are very expensive compared to our supplier in the UK. This situation is being exacerbated by the very weak pound which is a direct result of Brexit. We are very lucky to be able to take a year off and weather the storm, but many small and medium businesses, sadly, cannot do this because they have significant overheads and staff to support.
- Double digit (pence) increases in bottle prices this year would make our profit margin unsustainable in the short term if we wanted to be paid a reasonable amount for our time.
This is a situation which will improve as there will be new furnace capacity in the glass bottle industry in the next six to twelve months. Sadly, this will come too late for us to be able to offer a reliable service this year.
It would be very stressful for us and for you if we had your apples sitting in the store degrading in quality and were unable to press because we had no bottles into which we could put the juice.
Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
We will try to keep you updated on our progress on moving the business onto a more sustainable footing. We have plans to mitigate all of the factors which are currently making the 2019 season impossible for us and we thank you all for the incredible support you have given us.
Mid 19th century: from dialect scrump ‘withered apple’
Norfolk Scrumpers is an environmentally friendly apple juice producer based in Hempnall, Norfolk. We produce our own range of superior quality cloudy apple juices from our own orchards, using sustainably sourced local firewood to power the boiler for our pasteuriser. The electricity to run our apple press and pumps is sourced on a green energy tariff.
We also provide a juicing, pasteurising and bottling service for anybody who has a surplus of apples which they would like to turn into apple juice. We can design and print labels, perhaps featuring a picture of your house to make the ideal gift or to turn your excess apples into a commodity that you can sell through the year.
We can also supply custom labelled juice for your business from our own apples, to provide the perfect non-alcoholic beverage for your restaurant or cafe.
You can buy juice online for collection from Hempnall or local delivery may be possible if you email to check if your location is covered first. Just visit Hempnall Bakery.